Traveling To Mexico

passportIf you have not traveled to Mexico since 2009, you should be advised that you'll need more than your good looks to get back into the United States after visiting Mexico ... so be prepared!

Citizens of Canada and other countries should bring passports from their country of origin - plus a visa if one was required for your original entry into the United States.


U.S. citizens should bring one of the following:

  • U.S. passport - This is the internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person's identity and nationality, accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

  • U.S. passport card - This limited use travel document fits into your wallet and costs less than a passport, but is only valid for travel by land and sea.

  • Enhanced Driver's License - This is a state-issued identification card, used to provide proof of identity and United States citizenship.  They provide low-cost convenient alternative for entering the United States from Cananda, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry.  

  • Trusted traveler program cards- Enrollment cards from the NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST programs are issued to approved, low-risk travelers for travel by land or sea or to airports with a NEXUS kiosk.  


U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 may also present an original or copy of a birth certificate. 

U.S. lawful permanent residents document requirements have not changed - present a permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

Other requirements may apply for groups such as Native Americans, military traveling on official orders or merchant mariners - check with authorities in advance.


Bringing It Back Home Again

U.S. residents must declare purchases when re-entering the country.

Merchandise up to $400 per person, including one liter of alcohol and one carton of cigarettes above that allowance will be taxed.

Prescription medications equal to a 90-day supply can be brought across the border, but a U.S. doctor's prescription is required for any controlled substances.


Hours for local U.S. Ports of Entry


Andrade (Los Algodones)
6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
(Pacific Time)
Phone: 760-572-0089

Calexico West (Mexicali)
24 hours a day
Phone: 760-768-2626

San Luis (San Luis Rio Colorado)
24 hours a day
Phone: 928-627-8854


Need more info? Visit

Current Weather:
75° F
Wind: North 0.0 MPH     Humidity: 18%
brought to you by:

Upcoming Events

November 12, 2020

Good Morning Yuma

Live on chamber's Facebook page at 7 am

Full Calendar of Events


Stay informed with our email updates!

Event Reminders
Sponsorship Opportunities
Advertising Opportunities
Community Announcements
Ribbon Cuttings
Important Business Legislation